Get in touch.

Get in touch - Side Form


Things To Do With Your Kids in Renfrew Collingwood

Things To Do With Your Kids in Renfrew Collingwood

When you’ve been home with the kids for a while, you might find yourself running out of activities to keep them engaged and off their devices! Why not take advantage of some of the coolest local attractions in East Vancouver where your kids can find plenty of things to do and explore!

The Vancouver suburb of Renfrew-Collingwood is a large neighbourhood surrounded by nature. What used to be home to various kinds of wildlife —ducks, geese, cougars, beavers, bears—  is now a residential location for one of the most diverse communities in Vancouver.  But it’s also incredibly family-friendly, too: almost half of the population comprises families, 62% of whom have kids at home. That means that there’s plenty of stuff for you and your children to do right in your own backyard!

Thinking of taking the kids out to explore? We have some tips for you:

Walk on the wild side in Renfrew Ravine Park

Renfrew Ravine is the only park in Vancouver with a creek in a natural ravine. At six hectares (which is about 7-8 blocks), you can easily forget you’re in the middle of a residential area. Outside the city, sounds eventually fade away as you get closer to the creek, but be careful – the ravine can be steep! However, for a moment of peace and quiet among the trees, the long walk might just be well worth it.

Take a class at the Renfrew Park Community Centre

You can find the community centre at the south end of Renfrew Ravine Park. Founded in 1963 to offer a variety of programs and services for all ages, it is home to a fitness centre, an indoor swimming pool, sauna and whirlpool, and a game area, among other activities. Enroll your kids in arts and music classes or take advantage of the facilities to get some workouts in. There’s undoubtedly something for everyone in your family.

Let your dog roam free at Falaise Park

Falaise Park is an off-leash dog park just 20 minutes away from the community centre. Your family pet will definitely enjoy running around this massive grassy field, offering unobstructed views of the North Shore Mountains, Mount Seymour, Grouse Mountain, and Cypress Mountain. At the bottom of the park is a wetlands habitat garden that you can explore, too. Further down the hill are two baseball diamonds, but make sure your dog is leashed at this point – you wouldn’t want anyone accidentally joining the team! 

Grab your skates and head to Trout Lake

Trout Lake Rink is located at the Trout Lake Community Centre, which is around a 12-minute drive from Falaise Park. It is open from September to March for public skating programs and skate lessons for all ages and abilities. The rink opened in 2009 just in time for the Vancouver Winter Olympics, where it was used as a training space for 150 figure skaters from 35 countries. Who knows, maybe the ice will inspire your kid to be the next great winter Olympian! 

Experience the best of the neighbourhood at Collingwood Days

The Collingwood Days Festival, typically held in the spring, is an annual community event celebrating the diversity, history, and natural beauty of Renfrew-Collingwood. It highlights the contributions of various groups and members of the neighbourhood through music, dancing, and exhibits. It’s a great time to learn more about the community and meet your neighbours, too.

Reciprocity Logo The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Greater Vancouver REALTORS® (GVR), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB.